Defocus Incorporated Soft Contact lens (DISC)is an myopia control optical defocus incorporated contact lens which was invented and patented (IP us7506983b2) by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. There are 13 defocusing rings on the lens which is designed to reduce the myopia progression. It is one of the most effective optical devices to reduce the progression of myopia in schoolchildren. The efficacy is as high as 60%(1). The lens is TAILOR MADE lens which will be manufactured based on the prescription of patient.
DISC and DISC-SH
- Defocusing Incorporated Specialty Contact Lens (DISC) is a contact lens design which has high myopia control efficacy and it can reduce the progression rate up to 60.
- DISC was invented and patented (IP us7506983b2) by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- VST get the license and further develop this lens design with Silicon Hydrogel material and named DISC-SH
- DISC-SH is using Defintive 74 material (Dk 75) which can supply around 4-8 times more oxygen comparing with traditional HEMA contact lens material.
- DISC-SH is a 3 months replacement lens to prevent high deposit problem
- DISC-SH is in tailor made professional fitting approach. It is different from inventory system of mass production. Eye care professions will check the lens carefully, and make detailprescription of the patient and send it to VST. VST laboratory will cut the lenses based on the prescription with modern CNC lathes system.